Thursday, January 19, 2012

Baking Powder Biscuits

~the farmgirl story~
My MIL used to work at the LDS dry pack cannery.  She gave me a Family Recipes- Use and Enjoy your Food Storage recipe book printed by the cannery a long, long time ago.  I must admit some of the recipes appear a little sketchy, but this biscuit recipe is a keeper.

 Baking Powder Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk

Combine flour, baking powder & salt.  Add shortening and use fork to cut in to resemble course meal.  Add milk, stir until blended.  Transfer dough to lightly floured surface.  Knead gently, 8-10 times.  Roll dough 1/2 inch thick.  Cut into biscuits.  Bake 425* for 10-12 mins.

~the farmgirl disclaimer~
I think they are too dry if you just use 3/4 milk.  I always add closer to a cup.  And I usually don't roll the dough quite that thin either, I like a nice thick biscuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...whatdcha think??