Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Applesauce Cookies

~the farmgirl story~
These cookies have been around as long as I can remember. I had to ask my mom where the recipe originated from. When she was Primary President (way back when she was pregnant with my little sis, some 28 years ago) all the primary teachers drew names for Christmas. The lady that had my mom brought her these cookies in a tin. She loved them, asked for the recipe and they've been around ever since. Mike and the kiddos love them too. Mike always tells me they would be delicious with boiled raisins...clearly he's crazy. Does he not know my feelings about fruit and dessert? How long have we been married??? Any-hoo, these cookies are mighty delightful. Enjoy.



Applesauce Cookies

1cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves, cinnamon & nutmeg
1 tsp. soda
1 12 oz bag chocolate chips

Mix soda with applesauce. Mix together sugar, shortening and egg. Add applesauce to sugar mixture Sift together dry ingredients and stir into sugar applesauce mixture. Add chocolate chips. Bake at 350* for 10 minutes or until light brown.

~the farmgirl disclaimer~
*Don't mix the soda and applesauce in a metal bowl. Unless, of course, you like purple applesauce. *Again, I never measure the chocolate chips--just add until it seems like plenty. *I always use semi sweet chocolate chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...whatdcha think??